LITTLE BLUE FISH

I didn’t want a fish. I don’t want a fish. Anything but another fish in this house. How many do we have, thanks to my hubby Harvey’s hobby?
He has two salt water tanks, two fresh water tanks, and a koi pond outside. So a fish of my own was not what I longed for.
But it was my friend’s big birthday, she loves
animals and critters, and I thought a small unobtrusive tank with one colorful Siamese Fighting Fish would be a cheerful addition to her kitchen. Her kitchen is blue, so I bought a blue one with long, sensual, diaphanous fins.
But before I could present her with this sensational and thoughtful gift, she said to me, “For my birthday I decided that I’m tired of taking care of everything. I don’t want one more thing to take care of.”
Not even a little blue fish?, I think.
So here I am, stuck with fish-sitting HER fish for a few years. How long do Siamese Fighting Fish live? I wonder.
I call him/her (?)  Sparky and set his little tank in the center of the kitchen counter, surrounded by my white begonias and red kalanchoe. Suddenly my kitchen is quite patriotic: red, white and blue! “OK, Sparky: dinner time!”, I say, as I drop one pellet at a time into the water. Sparky zooms up to the top to fetch his reward. He zeros in, flapping his little fins with joy, as he consumes each pellet.
Every morning I come into the kitchen and put the light on at the top of his tank. “Good morning, Sparks,” I find myself saying. “How are you today?”
He zooms to the top, recognizing a human presence nearby, hoping in his little fish heart that the human has a treat for him. His fins are working overtime. They remind me of a car’s windshield wipers when they’re adjusted to run at maximum speed.
It’s almost a year since Sparky’s arrival, and I notice a change in his behavior. Now when I drop a pellet into the tank he wanders around pathetically, trying to find it. “It’s up here, Sparkles,” I say reassuringly. I even tap lightly on the tank cover, trying to help him locate his food. I see him snap at something, only to watch the pellet float down to the bottom of the tank.
Sparky seems to be blind!
I didn’t want a fish, and now I have a handicapped, special needs fish. I feel sad and sorry for such an innocent harmless creature, who cannot even find his pellet of food in a tank the size of a basketball.
But Sparky is part of our family now, and he can expect good care in every way I can give it

No comments:

Post a Comment